Washington crossing historic park
The Washington Crossing Historic Park, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was officially founded in 1917. It consists of approximately 500 acres, separated into two sections: the Upper Park and Lower Park. The Lower Park, which includes the site where General George Washington crossed the Delaware in 1776, is located in Upper Makefield Township. The Upper Park is approximately 5 miles to the north in Solebury Township. The Park is administered by the Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Commission [PHMC].
The primary historic resources within the Park include the McConkey’s Ferry Inn and the Thompson-Neely House, both of which existed at the time of Washington’s crossing of the Delaware. Other resources include: the Taylorsville Houses, a series of 19th-century historic homes associated with the early growth of the area; Bowman’s Hill Tower, constructed in 1932; and a variety of site features and outbuildings spread throughout the Upper and Lower Park. The Park also includes picnic pavilions - open-air structures built in the first half of the 20th century - and several “comfort stations”.
In 2012, following an open search, the Pennsylvania Department of General Services selected Preservation Design Partnership to lead a multi-discipline team to undertake a comprehensive $6.4-million program of site improvements, utilities upgrades, building envelope restoration, and interior renovations.
The PDP team began by developing a detailed Programming document that set the project priorities and a preliminary budget for all desired work. The Construction Documents were completed in 2015 and construction is anticipated to begin in 2016. The work is to be implemented while the site is occupied and open to visitors, requiring PDP to develop a detailed sequence of construction and clear project schedule.